Paint Sealant Application Constraints

More...

Here's the link to a more recent video and article I wrote on the topic of Textured Black Plastic Trim.

How to Clean & Restore Black Plastic Trim on Cars

how-to-clean-restore-black-plastic-trim-1400x788.jpg



And again, right now your trim does not NEED this product and process. In my opinion, it's better to be pro-active and protect the appearance with a dye made for this type of trim then to wait until the plastic has faded and developed Zebra Stripes and then try to fix or cover it up.


Back to the paint
As for applying some type of protective sealant onto the paint, simply spray the product on a microfiber towel folded 4-ways and then use the towel to apply the product. Have a second towel handy to remove any excess. This is called the 2-Towel Method. By spraying the product onto a towel instead of spraying the product onto the body panel - you avoid overspray on nearby surfaces - like Textured Black Plastic Trim.

Here's a TV commercial we made for My Classic Car with Dennis Gage. The commercial time limit is 29/30 seconds. So I wrote the script and it's TIGHT. I share a technique for spraying CERAMIC coatings onto a car, but the technique works for any spray-on product.

IMPORTANT
In the commercial I show spraying the product onto the towel by doing it in a way that I'm spraying AWAY from the vehicle. The reason why, is because the Bead Hero, (product I'm showcaing), is a true ceramic coating. If you leave any unseen or invisible overspray behind, not spread out and then removed, it will harden and then you'll have to polish it off. I tested this by spraying a single pump-spray onto the hood of one of my cars and allowed it to dry without wiping it off. Then over the course of three days, I would try to smear the product using my finger.

  • 24 hours later, I could smear the product, but it was difficult.
  • 48 hours later, I could smear the product but it was more difficult.
  • 72 hours later - it was solidified. I had to machine polish the product off the hood.

Once I understood this, a light bulb went off in my head as I know most people spray - spray-on products DIRECTLY onto the vehicle. With a spray detailer, or a waterless wash, not problem. With a product that dries hard and bonds to the paint. Problem.

It's too easy for the spray nozzle to atomize a liquid and spread it over the area you want to treat and nearby surfaces. Because the liquid is clear, it's diffiicult to see. But here's what I know. If a person were to spray this product onto body panels and NOT remove any invisible overspray droplets on nearby paint, it will harden. Then if you ever do the Baggie Test, you'll think you have overspray paint contamination on your vehicle. But it's not overspray paint - it's the ceramic coating.

After figuring out all of the above, I ONLY use the 2-Towel Method for applying these types of products to vehicle.


Here's the commercial, again, it's limited to 30 seconds.



Here's a short video with Dennis Gage as we talk about Bead Hero.



Keep all this in mind if you pick any brand of spray-on ceramic coating. And this is not a sales pitch, just education. The techniques I share will work with any quality brand of spray-on coating.


And yes, I detailed the 1962 Corvette before filming to perfect the paint. Cool car.


Mike
 
Last edited:
Back
Top